How to Download Windows 11 Preview via the Insider Program
Microsoft announced the next big update to its desktop operating system, dubbed Windows 11, last week, and in a few days, the company will make available a preview of the update. As part of its usual release cadence for Windows, Microsoft will be pushing an early build of the update to the Windows Insider Program with the purpose of collecting user feedback before the eventual public release this holiday.
The preview will be free to download, though you will need to have a licensed copy of Windows to sign up to the Insider Program, and of course, a PC that meets Windows 11’s system requirements. In what follows, we’ll guide you through signing up for the Windows Insider Program, and then downloading the Windows 11 Preview once it becomes available.
How to Join Windows Insider Program
If you’re running Windows 10 on your PC and are signed in with your Microsoft account, you can easily sign up for the Insider Program in under two minutes from within the settings menu.
1. Open up Settings. Click Update & Security.
2. Switch to the Windows Insider Program section on the left.
3. If you have optional diagnostics data collection disabled, this screen will instruct you to turn it on. Simply click the Go to Diagnostics and Feedback Settings link.
On the screen that follows, enable Optional diagnostic data. Now hit the back button in the top-left corner to return to the Windows Insider Program section.
4. Click the Get Started button, followed by Link an account. Select your Microsoft account from the list displayed, sign in, or sign up for a new account.
5. Select Release Preview Channel and hit Confirm.
6. Hit Restart Now.
You should now be able to see Windows 11 preview builds in the Update & Security settings, when they are made available.
You can, alternatively, sign up through the Window Insider website, though it will ultimately point you back to the steps laid out above.
1. Visit the Windows Insider website.
2. Click Register.
3. Sign in with your existing Microsoft account or create a new one.
4. Click the Flight now button that appears after the sign up process is done, then follow the instructions displayed.
How to Download Windows 11 Preview
1. Once you’ve completed the steps laid out above, open up Settings.
2. Click Update & Security.
3. Switch to the Windows Update section from the left.
4. Click Check for updates. You should be able to see Windows 11 preview builds here as they are made available.
5. Hit Download and install under the preview build.