How To Beat Sekiro’s Chained Ogre Mini-Boss The Easy Way
If you’re having trouble getting past the first few major obstacles in Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, you may find solace in the fact that you aren’t alone. It takes a while to get used to the game’s relatively complex combat mechanics, which makes some of those initial areas quite a challenge. We’ve already compiled a list of the best Sekiro tips and tricks for beginners, but these don’t cater for specific enemies that tend to hinder progress.
For many, the first true challenge comes in the form of the Chained Ogre mini-boss, for example. While this fight is considerably more difficult than the ones preceding it, the Ogre is not without weakness. There is a much easier and relatively risk-free way to beat this mini-boss, and if you continue reading, we’ll walk you through it, step by step.
- Ensure that the Flame Vent Prosthetic Tool is equipped and active, and that you have Oil in your Quick Item bar. The Flame Vent can be found in the Hirata Estate area, which can be accessed by praying at the Kind-Faced Buddha after receiving the Young Lord’s Bell Charm.
- From the Sculptor’s Idol near the Chained Ogre, grapple your way around or over the two basic enemies on the path leading up to the mini-boss.
- Open up your Inventory and pop a Gachiin’s Sugar (or Gachiin’s Spiritfall), then take out both enemies, starting with a stealth Deathblow on one.
- Stick to the wall to the left as you approach the Ogre, then turn the corner to find a spearman at the end. Take him out.
- With the Gachiin’s Sugar still active, return to the Ogre, approaching him from the side while crouched. Get as close to him as possible and you should see the prompt for a stealth Deathblow. This will allow you to take down one of his health bars with a single blow. Note: You needn’t reset if you accidentally alert the Ogre, as you can easily run away and out of sight, returning for a stealth Deathblow when he turns his back to you.
- As the mini-boss recovers from the Deathblow, switch to the Oil in your Quick Items bar and hit him with a jar.
- While the effects of the Oil are still active, hit him with the Flame Vent. This will stun the Ogre, allowing you to land a few free hits, also applying the Burn status for additional damage over time. Note: Using Oil isn’t absolutely necessary here as, like all red-eyed enemies in the game, the Ogre will flinch at the sight of fire. Oil does, however, make the fight easier by immediately applying the Burn status and giving you wider attack windows.
- Dodge away as the Ogre begins to recover, then repeat the stun-and-hit strategy till he is down.
Note that there are several other ways to make this fight easier on a repeated playthrough. This strategy only employs items and tools at your disposal at the beginning of a fresh run.
Did this guide help you? Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for instant social media updates from our website! You can also find us on YouTube.